Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thinking


I was watching Oprah one day last week.......Now let me just clear this up now and face the judgments that I'm going to receive, head on. I do NOT watch Oprah. I do NOT sit at home everyday eagerly awaiting her show to come on. It doesn't happen. I hardly even watch tv as it is. I dont really even care for her show that much. I was laying on the couch dosing off that afternoon and just had the tv on. I pay for cable and feel like sometimes I should try to at least use it a little bit to justify the money spent on it. There. That's out of the way with. Anyways, I had it on and the topic of the show actually caught my attention and got me watching. Apparently she had been approached by Dan Rather (the famous journalist/news fella) about whether or not she knew of any military families and what they go through on a daily basis. She said that she had to think about it but no one had come to mind and she was actually disappointed in herself and the fact that she didn't know ANYONE who was serving. So the hour was spent introducing a couple of families who had experienced deployments and life-altering injuries and what you could do to help them out. It got me to thinking. I know people who are serving and they are totally in the back of my mind. You know the people, "Yeah, I know them and know that they have it rough at times but they are probably fine." Someone else will help them. Sure someone else may help them but that doesn't get me off the hook. I think sometimes we become numb to the fact that there are soldiers dying overseas or getting injured to the point of needing permanent full time care from their families. We say 'Thanks' one time and move on with our lives. At any rate, my cousin Sean (pictured above) just arrived in Iraq in the past few weeks and I am going to make a point to send him and his guys some stuff in the mail. I challenge you, my six readers, to find a way to reach out to the men and women who are making sacrifices everyday so that we can live a safe life. There are so many things to be done to support these soldiers and their families.
Would you take the challenge to do something this week?

1 comment:

Kodiak's grammie said...

You know how I feel about this topic....my commitment is some form of communication with Sean once a week. Mail, email, packages....and lots of prayers. Thanks for writing this!