
Yesterday I finally finished this book, The Irresistible Revolution. Good book. In fact, it's a great book. There are so many challenging statements made, that it's almost hard to choose just one thing to talk about.
The author, Shane Claiborne spends much of his time addressing the churches need to do what Jesus did: take care of the poor. He has spent a ton of time living in the slums of places all over the world and then coming home to the U.S. and challenging people to look for the poor in their area and serve them.
We are faced with it daily. We tend to be on our way to a store to buy something for ourselves and see a homeless person begging for money. We look the other way and hope that someone else will take care of them. Or we get conditional about our giving. "I'll only give if they will use it for food"
I found myself doing that with some friends. "Well, I'd love to help you but I don't want to enable you to continue down the road you are going down. So, I would rather you starve to death and learn a lesson than to help you unconditionally, no strings attached."
I am faced with the realization: Jesus didn't say "Yes, I'll help and love you but only if you do the following things....". He just helped, healed, and loved. No questions asked.
Shane makes a great statement in the last chapter of the book. He says, "May we spend our lives making the Jesus way of life accessible to people. The world is thirsty. All Creation is groaning."
What will we do today to make the Jesus way of life accessible?
No comments:
Post a Comment